EORLA will deliver patient-focused, consistent, high-quality and cost-effective hospital-based laboratory services to meet the needs of the region’s patients.
What are the benefits to hospital patients and care providers from this integration?
The successful adoption of the EORLA integration will result in enhanced quality care through test standardization and improved portability of lab results.
I am an employee in the lab and would like to know what’s happening within EORLA. I feel like I am still part of my Hospital but do not feel all that close to EORLA. What can I expect from my day to day job with EORLA vs. my hospital?
It is understandable that you do not feel the same close connection to EORLA that you do with your home Hospital. Although EORLA has been established for some time it has remained in the background working away to develop its infrastructure and protocols required for regional integration.
As of today laboratory operations is accountable to the Hospital however the EORLA Board, who is represented by the member hospitals has directed EORLA to take on accountability of laboratory operations no later than November 2011. To this end laboratory managers of member hospitals will be seconded to EORLA in October 2011 followed by laboratory staff completing the transfer in April 2012.
To specifically answer your question, during the short term there will be no change to your day to day job however we hope the future will develop a culture of EORLA vision, mission and values. All employees are valuable to your hospital and EORLA and we are excited about being ONE team under ONE employer as of April 1, 2012.
What locations will EORLA provide services at?
EORLA will operate out of the following 16 member hospitals (19 sites):
- Almonte General Hospital (AGH)
- Arnprior & District Memorial Hospital (ADMH)
- Carleton-Place & District Memorial Hospital (CPDMH)
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
- Cornwall Community Hospital (CCH)
- Deep River & District Hospital (DRDH)
- Glengarry Memorial Hospital in Alexandria (HGMH)
- Hawkesbury District General Hospital (HGH)
- Kemptville District Hospital (KDH)
- Montfort Hospital (MH)
- Pembroke Regional Hospital (PRH)
- Queensway-Carleton Hospital (QCH)
- Renfrew Victoria Hospital (RVH)
- St. Francis Memorial Hospital in Barry’s Bay (SFMH)
- The Ottawa Hospital (TOH)
- General Campus
- Civic Campus
- Riverside Campus
- Winchester District Memorial Hospital (WDMH)
How many employees does EORLA expect to have?
Once the integration is complete in April 2012, EORLA is expected to have close to 900 employees. Laboratory staff includes over 800 Medical Laboratory Technologists and Medical Laboratory Assistants along with approximately 65 Medical/Scientific staff with the remainder being management and administration.